Monday, September 15, 2008

Making Connections

Making Connections

Everyday, as we go about our routine activities, there are opportunities to connect with people, if only we are aware, pay attention, and make the time. Following are reports of some of my occasional, happenstance, but meaningful encounters with strangers.

Every day, in every way, bless everyone you meet.

Quittin'Time

A group of us were in Houston for a conference and I was driving. We pulled into a parking lot, attended by an elderly African-American man. As he handed me the ticket, he asked about what time we would be back to get the car.

I answered, “Oh, about quittin’ time.”

He looked up quickly, responding to an expression reminiscent of a southern, rural past, the same as mine. Our eyes met. Wordlessly, we connected.

Reaching Out

My husband and I stood in a long line at the cafeteria on Sunday, a little after noon. Two women entered, one older, one younger and were obviously mother and daughter. The older woman took a seat on the padded bench between the rows, while the daughter got in line behind us. I observed the older women as she sat, her shoulders sagging, her head tilted a little to the side. Looking down, she seemed to take no notice of her surroundings. I imagined that she was recalling times and places long past. Making a guess, I commented to the daughter, "Your mother is grieving." Yes," she replied. "My father died not too long ago and she misses him terribly." I went over and sat next to the woman on the bench, gently touching her hand. I said, softly, "I hear you've lost your husband. I'm so sorry." She put her other hand over mine and held it there as we sat together quietly. It was a precious moment between strangers.

Quittin’Time

A group of us were in Houston for a conference and I was driving. We pulled into a parking lot, attended by an elderly African-American man. As he handed me the ticket, he asked about what time we would be back to get the car.

I answered, “Oh, about quittin’ time.”

He looked up quickly, responding to an expression reminiscent of a southern past, the same as mine. Our eyes met. Wordlessly, we connected.

No comments: